Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies

We had a cookie bake-off at my job last week and I was lucky enough to put my tasting skills to work.  I tried at least 17 different cookies (no, I did not eat 17 whole cookies, we cut them into quarters).  This one was my favorite of them all!  I absolutely love Cherry Chocolate Chip ice cream, so this was a nice alternative treat and a surprise since I had never tried them before.

To get a softer cookie, cook them a minute or two less.  For me, they look uncooked in the center when I pull them out but when they cool off, they are done but soft and chewy.

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
½ C shortening
¾ C sugar
1 egg
½ tsp almond extract
1 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
¾ C sweetened/shredded coconut
¾ C chopped maraschino cherries

Directions

Cream shortening and sugar with a mixer.

Beat in egg and almond extract.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder and stir into creamed mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips, coconut, cherries with a spoon (wooden spoon is my preference).

Drop by tablespoon full onto a greased cookie sheet, or waxed paper lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

**Tip:  You may substitute the all purpose flour, salt and baking powder with self-rising flour.

Thanks to Tara Hammonds for sharing the recipe!!

Comments