Fresh?

I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving!  To be honest, I was glad when it was finally over since I cooked, to some extent, for 7 straight days; I was tired.  The rest of the weekend after Thanksgiving was nice and relaxing; we didn't even put our tree up until this week.

Not only was I tired, I haven't posted in over a week because I've been traveling for work.  When I travel, I get to go out to eat, which I enjoy, and sometimes not enjoy.   I went to Detroit Tuesday night - Friday night this week and currently I'm in Tampa (Brandon).  A lot of time away from home but it makes me look forward to having time off during Christmas more than I usual.

This evening, I decided I wanted to have salad for dinner so I chose a local pizza shop that is rated 4 out of 5 stars on Foursquare.  Usually, local pizza shops have good salads.  I ordered a chef salad and a slice of pizza with mushrooms and spinach.  Maybe Papa John's spoiled me a little bc when I get pizza (or salad), I expect FRESH ingredients.  Both, my pizza and salad had canned/jarred mushrooms.  I was instantly turned off :/.

I must admit that the crust was good and the salad overall was good (probably bc I really liked that they used shredded, iceburg lettuce).  The place seemed really popular, maybe bc the customers didn't order mushrooms or bell peppers.  The bell peppers were also on the verge of going bad since they were no longer crunchy and starting to turn brown.

The ultimate point of this blog (you may be wondering), if you are going to cook for others, use fresh ingredients as much as possible.  AND, when you go out to eat, canned veggies are NOT acceptable.  If I go to a restaurant and they serve me canned green beans or peas, I will not return.  A true cook appreciates quality and taste, and for you consumers/cooks, should get to enjoy great food if you're going to pay someone else to prepare it.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I'll post a recipe next to counter to my rant.  :)

Comments