Mini Meatball Sandwiches

My great aunt Ruth made me the best homemade meatball sandwiches once when I visited her in Pennsylvania.  Ever since then, I have loved meatball sandwiches and understand the passion for a good meatball nowadays :).

The meatball recipe is the same I would use for making meatloaf.  I developed this recipe myself after tasting different types of meatloaf and figuring out the flavors I love.  To me, what makes a good meatball is bell peppers.

Use this recipe to make meatballs as an appetizer with different sauces, for spaghetti, and of course, meatball sandwiches.

Makes about 3-4 dozen 1 1/2 inch meatballs.

INGREDIENTS

3 lbs lean ground beef
1 sm bell pepper, seeds discarded, diced small
1 sm onion, diced small
1 C quick oats
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 C ketchup
2 T mustard (optional)
3 eggs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Put all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix/squish all together with your hands until all ingredients are mixed and well disbursed.

Heat a fairly large pan on medium heat.  Roll into meatballs, any size you like and place in hot pan.  You can layer them on top of each other.  Cover the pan and let cook for at least 10-15 min until the meatballs are firm.  Turn the meatballs and look cook until center is no longer pink.

Drain all juices off when done.  

If making meatball subs/sandwiches, use my spaghetti sauce recipe (on my blog) except leave out the ground beef, onion, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.  Use 3 cans total of tomato sauce.  I also like to add 1/8 tsp of ground red pepper.  Stir the sauce and spices in with the meatballs after you've drained off the juices. Simmer for about 20 min.

TIPS

  • When draining off the juices, be sure to retain the meat remnants that break off the meatballs.  They will make your sauce meaty.
  • Sprinkle on some shredded Italian cheese mix or Mozzarella cheese
  • Toast your roll before piling on the meatballs and sauce.  It will minimize the sogginess a little and give it more texture.

Comments