Cajun Dirty Rice


I took this to church once and these young brothers (7 & 9 I believe) asked their foster mom for "more of that Jamaican rice".  It was spicy but they loved it!

The original recipe called for a dirty rice mix, but I like to make my food from scratch as much as I can.  So here is my own recipe for dirty rice.  My measurements are guesstimates (as usual).

This dish is SPICY!

Makes 8 servings

INGREDIENTS

2 C brown rice, uncooked (parboiled such as Uncle Ben's)
1/2 lb ground beef, cooked & drained
1/2 lb ground hot sausage (pork or turkey), cooked & drained
1 can hot Rotel with habaneros
1/2 can black or red beans, drained and rinsed
3 1/2 C water
1 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning

DIRECTIONS

Place all ingredients in a large pot, stir a couple of times.  Bring to a boil on high heat.  Turn heat to low.  Cover and cook for 25 minutes (check it at 20 min).  The rice should be soft and no water remaining in the pot.  Remove from heat.

TIPS

  • Double the recipe to cook for a crowd
  • To make it mild, use mild Rotel (or plain diced tomatoes) and a little less Tony Chachere's
  • You may use white rice, but brown is healthier
  • Parboiled rice is preferred because it doesn't get as mushy as regular rice
  • It's important not to take the lid off the rice much because it effects the cooking.
  • I like to make this recipe in my electric pressure cooker.  Put in all the ingredients and set for 12 minutes on high pressure.
  • Be careful with what Cajun/creole seasoning you use because some of them are more salt than season and can easily over-salt your dish.  Tony Chachere's is my preferred Cajun seasoning and is inexpensive (I wish I got paid for promoting products).

Comments