Mama's Sweet Cole Slaw

This recipe was passed down to me from my mama, but not on paper; I'm not even sure where she learned it.  I get a lot of compliments when I make it for parties and BBQ's.  I love sweet cole slaw and this slaw is definitely sweet. 

Again my measurements are guesstimates.  Makes about 8 cups.

INGREDIENTS

1 head (or 2 lbs) cabbage, shredded
3 carrots, shredded
1 C raisins
1 C mayonnaise
1 C sugar (white or turbinado)
1 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp celery seeds

DIRECTIONS

In a large container, mix all the ingredients together.  Initially the mixture will seem dry, however, once you mix it all together, put the lid on the container and let it set in the fridge for 30 min or longer.  It will create its own juice.  Taste it.  Add more sugar to liking if needed.

TIPS

  • It's just not the same without the raisins, but when I'm making this for a party I will sometimes make container with raisins and one without.  The one with raisins is always eaten first.
  • You may use pre-shredded cabbage or slaw mix, but it will not be as juicy.

Comments