Banana Bread

I've had my Betty Crocker cookbook since my teenage years (over 20 years now).  I've probably read every recipe in this book  because that's what I like to do when I'm bored...really...I have an exciting life, I promise :).

Of all the recipes in this cookbook, this is the only one that I use regularly.  And one of the very few that I actually follow the recipe the way it's written, except I like to add a couple dashes of cinnamon. I do not care for nuts in my breads, so I omit them.

Prep time: 15 min
Bake: 1 hour
Makes 2 loaves

INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 C sugar
1/2 C (or 1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 C mashed ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
1/2 C buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 C chopped nuts, optional

DIRECTIONS

1.  Move oven rack to low position so that the tops of pans will be in center of oven.   Heat oven to 350*F.  Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9 x 5 x 3, with shortening.

2.  Mix sugar and margarine in large bowl.  Stir in eggs until well-blended.  Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.   Beat until smooth.  Stir flour, baking soda, and salt just until moistened.  Stir in the nuts (if adding).  Pour into pans.

3.  Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 5 minutes in pans on wire rack.  Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack.  Cool completely before slicing.  Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.

TIPS

  • Substitute all-purpose flour with self-rising, omit the salt and baking soda.
  • Add in 1/2 tsp of cinnamon for a little added flavor.
  • For a lighter version, substitute 1/4 of butter/margarine with 1/4 cup of applesauce.
  • Add 1/2 C chopped dates at the same time the nuts would be added.
  • If you choose to do mini-loaves, start the cooking time out at 45 minutes.  Bread is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Comments