Cajun Dirty Rice w Chicken (healthy)

I found out recently that my cholesterol is at 238 :O!  I also recently purchased a Jawbone UP24 (similar to a FitBit).  Strangely enough, the same day I found out my cholesterol score, the UP app gave me a tip -- foods high in fiber lower your cholesterol.  I accepted its challenge to eat 25g of fiber that day and actually completed that day and 2 more days following.  The tip also mentioned that foods high in fiber are beans, nuts and fresh fruits & veggies.  So that day I decided to incorporate beans into our dinner.  Thus, my recipe for Cajun Dirty Rice with Chicken was born.  


This recipe is so simple and believe it or not, very tasty and depending on how much creole seasoning you add, can be spicy.

One serving (about 1.5 cups) contains a whopping 16g of fiber!!











INGREDIENTS


1 lb boneless, skinless chicken
2 cans beans (your choice), drained & rinsed
2 cups brown rice
4 cups water
1 can Rotel, mild (tomatoes w chiles)
1 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning (or to your taste)

DIRECTIONS


In a crockpot, mix all ingredients (chicken can be whole). Cook on low for 8 hours. Check after 6 hours. Shred the chicken when it's done.
OR 
Cook it all in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes once it reaches pressure. Or, if using an electric one, set for 15 minutes on high pressure.
Drain off any excess liquids, if any.

Comments