Chicken Salad

This past weekend I hosted my annual Memorial Day party.  I try to make a new dish each year for every holiday get together, so I revert to my cookbooks. One of my prizes from the Biscuit Contest was a sweet little cookbook from Lodge (makers of iron pans).  I found this recipe for chicken salad and tried it.   Needless to say, it was the best chicken salad I ever made so I'm sharing it with you all.  I made a huge container (4 quarts) and it's all gone already.

Recipe Mary McRae Griffith from the cookbook "A Skillet Full" by Lodge.











INGREDIENTS

2 C cooked and diced (or shredded) skinless chicken
1 C diced celery
1/2 C diced, blanched almonds
Mayonnaise to hold salad together

French Dressing
1 T sugar
1 tsp salt
9 T vegetable oil
1 tsp dry mustard
3 T vinegar
Juice of a lemon
Dash of red pepper or paprika

DIRECTIONS

Place diced chicken in a large bowl.  Pour the French dressing over chicken and let it stand covered and refrigerated overnight or at least 3-4 hours. Then add celery and nuts to the chicken and mix with a small amount of mayonnaise.  Careful not too much mayonnaise.

SUGGESTION:  Pretty and good if served on bed of lettuce, as stuffing for a tomato or as filling for half an avocado.  Don't peel avocado until very last and squeeze lemon over it to keep from discoloring.

Kristy's Tips:
  • I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil
  • I added just a little bit more sugar
  • I used chopped pecans instead of almonds
  • I used Blue Plate mayo 
  • Serve with rolls or croissants

Comments