Homemade French Onion Dip (better than the mix)

During the Coronavirus pandemic, I forgot to buy french onion soup mix to make dip for chips.  So I decided I would make my own, it can't be that hard, and it wasn't.  I read a few recipes to get ideas then made my own.  I must say it turned out great the first time and even better the second time.

The dip tastes better the next day.  It will last about 10 days in the fridge, if it's not all eaten first.  I don't think I'll ever buy store bought onion dip or mix again.


INGREDIENTS 

1 medium onion
1 cup sour cream
1 big tablespoon mayo
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
Couple dashes pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder


  1. Dice a medium yellow onion and carmelize it (takes a good 30-45 min to do it right). Let cool.
  2. In a bowl, mix sour cream and mayonnaise.  
  3. Add beef bouillon, a few shakes of pepper, and garlic powder.  
  4. If you have dried parsley flakes and dried chives (or fresh), add about a tsp of each.  
  5. Stir real good then mix in the onions.  
  6. Taste it and add salt or more broth to your liking.  The longer it sits, the better.



Comments