How to make Kristy's homemade biscuits (video)

So many people over the years have asked me to show them how to make my biscuits.  I started making biscuits from the recipe on the back of the bag of flour, you know, with shortening and water.  If you like food the way I do, you know that recipe is tasteless; shortening and water have no flavor.  Over the years, I've developed my own recipe that is tasty and everything you want in a biscuit.
Once you've finished your biscuits, brush them with some butter and very lightly sprinkle with kosher salt or sea salt.  I love to eat them steamy hot out of the oven.  I always have one plain as soon as I take them out then I enjoy eating others with apple butter, open face with honey drizzled over it or with a slice of cheese melted by the biscuit.  
When reheating the biscuits in the microwave, warm up one on a napkin for 10 seconds then only 3-5 second increments after that.  The longer you warm them up, the harder they get.  

INGREDIENTS (modified from video)

4 Cups soft wheat, self-rising flour
2 sticks cold butter
1 cup whole buttermilk
3/4 cup milk

I use White Lily self-rising, unbleached flour.  If I can't find unbleached, I use regular White Lily self-rising.  Pay attention to the tips I give in the video so your biscuits turn out perfect.  
  • Bake at 425F on the middle rack.
  • You do NOT need to grease your pan.  
  • You may cook them in an iron skillet if you prefer.
  • You may freeze them raw and bake later.  Place your sheet of cut-out biscuits in the freezer.  Once they're solid, place them in a freezer bag.  When you're ready to bake, preheat your oven to 375F and bake until the tops are golden brown.  They may not rise as much as non-frozen biscuits, but will still be good and impressive.





Comments