White Rice

It took me a lot of trial and error to learn to cook white rice and it turn out perfectly.  Everyone seems to have their own way to make it.  Let me tell you my way that turns out great every time.  No need to rinse the rice, boil the water first, brush your cat and do a curtsy for it to turn out right.  :)

It's simple.  To be fair, we have been eating Jasmine rice in our house for a few years and I have only cooked that particular rice this way but I don't see why it would not work with other types of white rice.  Now I only say white rice because brown rice definitely requires more water and much longer cook time.

Here's the key - 1 part rice, 1 1/2 parts water.  For example, for 2 cups of rice, you would add 3 cups of water.  I use any container, cup, bowl, etc, to measure my rice and water, just as long as I follow those measurements.  They do not have to be exact, just pretty close.  Those directions on the bag?  They're great if you want mushy rice.

Put the rice and water (I use room temp water) in a pot at the same time, put a snug fitting lid on it and set the heat to low.  I have an electric stove that goes from Lo-10, 10 being the highest.  I set mine to 2 or 2.2 to give you an idea.  Do not open the pot or stir the rice, just leave the lid on it for about 20-25 minutes.  For me, I know it is done when I smell rice.  

If it smells burnt, you forgot it and it is burnt.  Start over and I recommend steel wool to clean the pot after it's soaked for a few hours.

You may add salt, butter or seasonings to the water before you put on the stove.  To make yellow rice, add 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric to the water.


Measuring guide:


Comments