Chicken Melt Sandwich

 


My very first job was at Waffle House; I worked there for 4 years.  It was a fun job and one of the hardest at the same time.  I really enjoyed cooking so some shifts I cooked while others I waited tables.  

One of my favorite things on the menu is the Chicken Melt sandwich.  Since I worked there, they now make it on Texas toast but I always ask for it on wheat, the original way.  Next time you visit Waffle House, order the "chicken melt plate on wheat, topped" (hashbrowns with chili) and ask for a side of ranch dressing (some stores don't have any dressings).

Ingredients

1 cooked 4oz chicken breast, seasoned (heated up if it's cold)
2 slices wheat bread (or bread of your choice)
2 slices American cheese
2 T sauteed, chopped onions
Butter, softened

Directions

Heat an iron skillet (or any skillet you have on hand) on medium heat.  Butter one side of each slice of bread and put the butter side down on the skillet.  Place a slice of cheese on each piece of bread, then top one side with onions.  Place the chicken on the same side with the onions.  Cover the pan (to help the cheese melt quicker).  Once the bread is a toasty color you like, using a spatula, put the cheese only side on top of the chicken side.  Continue to toast if you prefer, flipping the sandwich to prevent burning.  Put the sandwich on a plate and cut in half diagonally.  Enjoy!  

Try it with mayo if you like.  I personally love the onions on the sandwich, but if you don't like onions, you can omit them. 




Comments